[tor-relays] Tor relay on Verizon FiOS/FTTH: Advertised Bandwidth capped at ~19.5MiB/s

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Mon Feb 18 02:54:12 UTC 2019

I have a Tor relay "NeelTorRelay2":

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/D5B8C38539C509380767D4DE20DE84CF84EE8299

This relay is hosted on a 300 mbps Verizon FiOS (FTTH/GPON) connection.
My server is a HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 (quad-core AMD X3421
variant) running FreeBSD, and my router is a Linksys WRT1900AC running
OpenWrt.

For some reason, the Advertised Bandwidth is not going above ~19.5
MiB/s.

If my relay is pushing 10MB/s (80mbps) at a given time, the CPU usage is
around 20%, so I don't think its the CPU.

My question is that is this lower Advertised Bandwidth speeds normal for
a relay hosted on a connection behind a consumer level router and it's
NAT table (even despite OpenWrt)? Could it be Verizon's DPI/QoS now that
Net Neutrality is repealed? Would using a non-consumer router (like
Ubiquiti or pfSense) help?

Thank You,

Neel Chauhan

===