[tor-relays] the intention of emails aiming to contact operators with no contactInfo

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Mon Feb 11 21:09:00 UTC 2019

It is not directly the topic of this thread but
I'd like to give you some more context with regards to the "MyFamily"
emails to clarify their intention.

To understand the motivation behind these emails we have to look
at how the "bad-relays" process used to look in cases with no available contactInfo
before I started sending these emails to tor-relays (short version):

1) someone reports some relay(s)
2) if directory authorities (or their proxies) agree to reject/badexit the relay(s),
no information is send to the operator since no contact information is available and the operator
has no chance to solve the issue before actions are taken
3) directory authorities apply the config change

in my opinion it were nice if there were at least an _attempt_ to
reach out to the operator even with no contactInfo present before even
considering any actions to give the operator the chance to solve things right away.
This is where this list (tor-relays@) came in,
it was used as an option of last resort (to attempt) to contact the operator
since it is basically the canonical place to reach operators
(and yes I agree that my wording in the last such email wasn't great
which tells you my motivation to send them was decreasing).

As I understand some feel harassed by these emails,
this was not my intention, sorry about that.
So the old procedure (no emails to this list) will be restored.

With regards to why virii might be mad at me,
that is probably related to a recent email of mine (see below).
I can understand such an email will not be appreciated
but the goal was to trigger a change to reduce the risk at hand.
And in the end it has been solved promptly and the tor network
is a tiny bit safer for its users -  that is the overall goal here.
Thanks for solving it.