[tor-relays] plans to require ContactInfo to be non-empty

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Tue Feb 5 21:57:33 UTC 2019

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 21:25:00 +0000
nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> due to some recent and ongoing events related
> to a malicious entity running tor relays
> I'll start to pursue an idea that I had
> for some time: require non-empty ContactInfo
> (non-empty does not mean valid email address)
>
> This is primarily a non-technical policy discussion
> which will take place on tor-dev at .

It is very easy to fill ContactInfo with something meaningless, including
automatically. Nicknames are required to be non-empty, did that stop any
abuse? At its simplest bots or abusers can set ContactInfo to be the same as
nickname; or to a different randomly generated word or phrase.

I suggest to carefully weigh all the possible positive effect from this (if
any at all!!) against the effort required to advocate for and then implement
such policy change.

--
With respect,
Roman