[tor-relays] tor relay shutsdown

ronqtorrelays at risley.net ronqtorrelays at risley.net
Fri Feb 1 21:29:15 UTC 2019

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 03:01, Neelix <neelix at privacy.farm> wrote:
>
> Ah! This might be the problem. Tor is almost using 100% of the CPU.
> Is there a way to reduce the CPU usage? Or should I upgrade the server?

I would immediately suspect an overheating CPU. If the CPU cooler fan is defective, or if the heatsink compound is dried out, then the machine can shut down precipitously with no log entries.

If you can open it up, make sure that the CPU heatsink fan spins freely and that the heatsink isn't clogged up with dust.

If you can't open it (or are just naturally voyeuristic), on a debian-like distro you can follow these instructions to monitor the CPU temp:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/15832/how-do-i-get-the-cpu-temperature

--Ron