[tor-relays] Improving Relay IPv6 - RIPE Grant

NOC tor at afo-tm.org
Mon Dec 16 17:11:29 UTC 2019

I see a great benefit here, you could default to IPv6 for everything and
enable IPv4 only as fallback that would allow to run Relays behind
carrier grade NAT. I can get here 10 GBit/s symmetric but because the
ISP did not get it's IP space 30 years ago (like some other ISPs which
see no need for IPv6) it does have much more customers than IPv4
addresses, so running a Relay is not possible. And this trend will not
shift back, you will see more and more ISPs which won't offer a public
IPv4 address, simply because they can't get more IPv4 space. You see
that even on the VServer market today where you can get very cheap
Servers with a /64 but every IPv4 costs extra.

So loosing some relays which really can't enable IPv6 is for me worth
the trade off for many high speed relays which could finally join the
network.