[tor-relays] Article: The Growing Problem of Malicious Relays on the Tor Network

Dirk tor-relay.dirk at o.banes.ch
Mon Dec 9 19:26:37 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I was made aware today of the article be nusenu [1]. Please read it.

So even I theoretically new Sybil attack scenario against the tor
network - I never was aware it could affect so much of the tor network
infrastructure:
"At their peak they reached >10% of the Tor network’s guard capacity".

The article leaves me with some thoughts:

+ Due to the natrue of the tor network the problem can never be solved
by 100%

+ How can the tor network be improved to be more resilient against this
attach (Software & Operation)

+ Is there currently already activity ongoning by the tor project and
how can we as organizations and operators support it

best regards

Dirk
Tor support team digitale-gesellschaft.ch

[1]
https://medium.com/@nusenu/the-growing-problem-of-malicious-relays-on-the-tor-network-2f14198af548