[tor-relays] Why is my Tor bridge relay not getting any traffic?

teor teor at riseup.net
Wed Aug 28 05:08:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 28 Aug 2019, at 14:21, Hikari <tux at hikari.me> wrote:
>
> So, it's just that few people receive my bridge from BridgeDB. So it's a guard relay, right? What am I lacking to receive a guard flag?

Guards and Bridges are different.

Bridges are secret entry nodes for a few Tor clients.

Guards are public entry nodes for any Tor client.
But they are easier to block, because they are public.

> And what about being a middle relay?  Shouldn't it be used more frequently in this mode?

Middle relays are public middle nodes for any Tor client.

Bridges can't be used as middles, because bridge addresses are secret.

> I have obfs3 and obfs4 enabled, but I've never tested them. And never got any error message either.

You can test them with Tor Browser, but it takes a bit of cut and paste work.
Look up the obfs4 instructions for the location of the bridge line file.

If you'd like to get more bridge traffic, start another few bridges on different
ports on the same IP, or different IPs.

> Another question. I currently have Address setting on torrc pointing to a domain handled by no-ip. I have 2 ISPs in load balancing, and before this setting I was having very frequent log messages saying my IP had changed, because each time Tor made its test it was using a different route. Isn't it possible to use Tor in load balancing?

There are different kinds of load balancing.

Tor relays and bridges can only advertise a single IPv4 address.
Tor relays can also advertise an IPv6 address.
We're working on dual-stack advertised addresses for bridges.

So Tor works well when your AS announces your relay's IP address on multiple
upstream routers.

If you have different IP addresses for each upstream, you can:
* Run a separate Tor instance for each address, or
* Set (inbound) Address to one upstream, and OutboundBindAddress to another.

> I'm buying a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X to put OpenWRT. If everything works, in the near future I'll have IPv6 and load balancing working, but no-ip seems to not support IPv6. How should I setup my relay to use both ISPs and IPv4 + IPv6 with dynamic addresses?

Address supports DNS for IPv4 addresses.

IPv6 is only supported for ORPort (relays) and ServerTransportListenAddr (bridges).
Tor doesn't have support for dynamic IPv6 yet.

Can your provider allocate static IPv6?
It should have a pool of millions of IPv6 addresses, so static should be easy.

We're trying to make IPv6 support better, but I don't know when we will
get funding to fix these particular issues.