[tor-relays] Measuring the Accuracy of Tor Relays' Advertised Bandwidths

Felix zwiebel at quantentunnel.de
Sun Aug 25 14:21:34 UTC 2019

Hi everybody

Am 2019-08-24 um 11:38 AM schrieb Toralf Förster:
> On 8/19/19 4:56 AM, teor wrote:
>> Yes, changing other relays' bandwidths can affect the Guard flag, because
>> Guard is given to the fastest, most stable relays.
>
> I'm not convinced that this is the culprit for the mentioned relay [1].
>
> I found another relay [2] where at least 4 of the 9 authorities doesn't set the "Running" flag, which is needed for "Guard", right?
> That relay has a reasonable bw value to (23,000 , FWIW the value for [1] is about 90,000).
>
> So now I do wonder why the Running flag is lost after a year.
>
> [1]	https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2019-08-24-07-00.html#509EAB4C5D10C9A9A24B4EA0CE402C047A2D64E6
> [3]	https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2019-08-24-08-00.html#0CDCFB0B6E1500E57BDD7F240543EBAEF81C11CA

I have a similar experience like Toralf. Since a week all my relays (but
one) are middle relays. Which is fine because they push good traffic.

All are measured by maatu, gabel, moria1 and farav. But only one is
measured by longc and bastet. [1]
Why is that?

My understanding is six of nine authorities measure bandwitdh. I can
download bandwidth files from all six from a _non_ measured server [2],
so connection is given. But I see about 2.4MB doc size from the ones
working for me and 4MB from the ones not working.
Any clue what is the difference between those?

My family is [3]. The good relay is 402 and the `bad´ ones are between
405 and 415.

Don't get me wrong. If guard, middle or exit all relays are important.
But it's a little strange.

PS: dannenberg has Missing Signature

[1] https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health.html
[2] CE47F0356D86CF0A1A2008D97623216D560FB0A8
[3]
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/family:1AE039EE0B11DB79E4B4B29CBA9F752864A0259E

--
Cheers, Felix