[tor-relays] AvoidDiskWrites

Michael Gerstacker michael.gerstacker at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 24 04:36:20 UTC 2019

Hi Torproject,

i think about enabling AvoidDiskWrites 1 on all my relays and not only on
my Pi because the prices for the VPS are anyway cheap as f*ck so i think
saving the provider a few disk writes is a nice deal.

In the manual it is described as:
*AvoidDiskWrites* *0*|*1* If non-zero, try to write to disk less frequently
than we would otherwise. This is useful when running on flash memory or
other media that support only a limited number of writes. (Default: 0)

... which is not a very informative description on how it changes the
behavior of Tor. I didnt found any more explanation about it.

I would like to understand what Tor is NOT writing to disk anymore if set
to 1 or what Tor IS writing to disk if set to 0 and if changing that have
any effect for Tor users.
As a relay operator i couldnt really see any difference enabled or not.

Kind regards