[tor-relays] Measuring the Accuracy of Tor Relays' Advertised Bandwidths

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Aug 25 08:36:50 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 10:24:21AM +1000, teor wrote:
> > I found another relay [2] where at least 4 of the 9 authorities doesn't set the "Running" flag, which is needed for "Guard", right?

Correct, I believe we don't vote the Guard flag if we are not voting
the Running flag:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2598
I think that is because of the definition of 'active'.

> > [3]    https://consensus-health.torproject.org/consensus-health-2019-08-24-08-00.html#0CDCFB0B6E1500E57BDD7F240543EBAEF81C11CA
>
> At the moment, 6/9 authorities can't reach this relay. Same possibilities.

moria1 can reach this relay, but earlier today, and also at this
moment, dizum is being listed as unable to reach the relay. But
I checked with dizum's operator earlier today and he could reach
that IP:orport via telnet.

So my current thought is intermittent overload, or perhaps some sort
of "rate limiting via iptables" firewall. (It doesn't look like ipv6
reachability questions should apply here, because I think this relay
isn't offering ipv6.)

--Roger