[tor-relays] Very high CPU Load and low Traffic since Sunday

Rob Jansen rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Aug 20 13:13:02 UTC 2019

> On Aug 20, 2019, at 2:05 AM, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> On 20 Aug 2019, at 12:56, John Ricketts <john at quintex.com> wrote:
>>
>> reduction++;
>
> This could be a result of load balancing changes due to Rob's bandwidth experiment.
>
> CPU overloads could also be a result of load balancing changes. The tests only used a few large bandwidth circuits, but the CPU usage of lots of small circuits is much higher.
>
> I've cc'd Rob to get his opinion.

I scanned each relay once for less than 30 seconds. I don't plan on repeating the experiment. It looks like the advertised BWs have reverted, at least on a global level (it's possible that individual relays may still notice an adjustment though).

https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html?start=2019-08-01&end=2019-08-20

Sorry I don't have anything more informative to say at the moment.

Peace, love, and positivity,
Rob