[tor-relays] Emerald Onion's new relays

NOC tor at afo-tm.org
Thu Aug 15 15:02:46 UTC 2019

On 15.08.2019 00:50, teor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14 Aug 2019, at 03:42, NOC <tor at afo-tm.org <mailto:tor at afo-tm.org>>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12.08.2019 23:39, teor wrote:

>>> Tor relays currently don't connect over IPv6. When 10% of the network
>>> supported IPv6, there wasn't much point, because putting a very small
>>> number of paths over IPv6 has privacy risks. So we focused on
>>> client, guard,
>>> and exit IPv6 support.
>>>
>>> But currently, about 30% of the consensus weight supports IPv6. So we
>>> are working on a grant for IPv6 support (see below).
>>>
>>> We won't be able to prefer IPv6 until 50-67% of relays support IPv6, for
>>> load-balancing and privacy reasons.  But we plan on using the
>>> "Happy Eyeballs" (RFC 8305) algorithm on dual-stack relays. So
>>> sufficiently slow IPv4 will cause relays to connect over IPv6. (And
>>> we can
>>> tune the load-balancing using the IPv4 to IPv6 delay.)
>>
>> I still would say that these stats are deeply flawed. Looking at the
>> Autonomous Systems where the relays are located from the top100, 99
>> of them do support IPv6 (85,7625% consensus weight), the only one
>> which doesn't support is AS4224 but since they manage their AS
>> themselves they would only need to ask their LIR and would get IPv6.
>>
> The top 100 relays are only 13-18% of the total advertised bandwidth:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/advbwdist-relay.html?start=2019-05-16&end=2019-08-14&n=1&n=100
> https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html

I never wrote about the top100 relays, relays don't matter, they come
and go. It is important who does host them, that is why i looked at the
AS, because the providers won't stop offer IPv6 if they have deployed it
once. And that is why i think the complete roadmap is not useful at all
and will delay everything just unnecessary.