[tor-relays] Very high CPU Load and low Traffic since Sunday

Tim Niemeyer tim at tn-x.org
Thu Aug 15 14:43:49 UTC 2019

Hello

I've noticed a reduction in tor traffic about 50% since Sunday. The cpu
load stayed almost same. The amount of TCP Sessions increased from ~34k
to ~65k. Also the abuse rated about network scans got increased since
Sunday.

Does anyone knows what's there going on?

My guess is that since Sunday anyone uses Tor for extended network
scans, which results in a very high packet rate.

Personally I've no problem with some network scans, but this is a bit
annoying and I asked myself if this is still a scan or more a DOS.

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/family:719FD0FA327F3CCBCDA0D4EA74C15EA110338942

Kind regards
Tim