[tor-relays] Emerald Onion's new relays

NOC tor at afo-tm.org
Tue Aug 13 17:42:09 UTC 2019

Hi

On 12.08.2019 23:39, teor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13 Aug 2019, at 05:08, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net
> <mailto:rm at romanrm.net>> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 00:46:50 +0000
>> Christopher Sheats <yawnbox at emeraldonion.org
>> <mailto:yawnbox at emeraldonion.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> Tor Project, please increase your #IPv6 awareness/outreach similar
>>> to how
>>> ARIN and the other RIRs try very hard to do.
>>
>> Before outreach Tor would need some actual IPv6 support, as in using
>> it for
>> the actual traffic of relay-to-relay communication. I tried running a few
>> relays with very fast IPv6 and slow IPv4 (due to a common NAT
>> frontend which
>> was the bottleneck), but it was a complete nonstarter.
>
> Tor relays currently don't connect over IPv6. When 10% of the network
> supported IPv6, there wasn't much point, because putting a very small
> number of paths over IPv6 has privacy risks. So we focused on client,
> guard,
> and exit IPv6 support.
>
> But currently, about 30% of the consensus weight supports IPv6. So we
> are working on a grant for IPv6 support (see below).
>
> We won't be able to prefer IPv6 until 50-67% of relays support IPv6, for
> load-balancing and privacy reasons.  But we plan on using the
> "Happy Eyeballs" (RFC 8305) algorithm on dual-stack relays. So
> sufficiently slow IPv4 will cause relays to connect over IPv6. (And we can
> tune the load-balancing using the IPv4 to IPv6 delay.)

I still would say that these stats are deeply flawed. Looking at the
Autonomous Systems where the relays are located from the top100, 99 of
them do support IPv6 (85,7625& consensus weight), the only one which
doesn't support is AS4224 but since they manage their AS themselves they
would only need to ask their LIR and would get IPv6.

So my conclusion is not that there is any need to wait for adaption,
only for software support.

Release one stable from which point you need IPv6 and the operator will
see that there is something to be done. You won't affect older versions
since they still can speak with you but you won't get in the consensus
from that point because you don't fulfill all requirements for it.