[tor-relays] Emerald Onion's new relays

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Aug 12 21:39:21 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 13 Aug 2019, at 05:08, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 00:46:50 +0000
> Christopher Sheats <yawnbox at emeraldonion.org> wrote:
>
>> Tor Project, please increase your #IPv6 awareness/outreach similar to how
>> ARIN and the other RIRs try very hard to do.
>
> Before outreach Tor would need some actual IPv6 support, as in using it for
> the actual traffic of relay-to-relay communication. I tried running a few
> relays with very fast IPv6 and slow IPv4 (due to a common NAT frontend which
> was the bottleneck), but it was a complete nonstarter.

Tor relays currently don't connect over IPv6. When 10% of the network
supported IPv6, there wasn't much point, because putting a very small
number of paths over IPv6 has privacy risks. So we focused on client, guard,
and exit IPv6 support.

But currently, about 30% of the consensus weight supports IPv6. So we
are working on a grant for IPv6 support (see below).

We won't be able to prefer IPv6 until 50-67% of relays support IPv6, for
load-balancing and privacy reasons.  But we plan on using the
"Happy Eyeballs" (RFC 8305) algorithm on dual-stack relays. So
sufficiently slow IPv4 will cause relays to connect over IPv6. (And we can
tune the load-balancing using the IPv4 to IPv6 delay.)

> Tor supports IPv6 very
> poorly and nobody cares much.

Lots of us care about IPv6. Our problem is finding *funders* who care enough
to pay for the time we need to implement this complex feature. But we're
working on a grant application right now: