[tor-relays] Emerald Onion's new relays

Christopher Sheats yawnbox at emeraldonion.org
Mon Aug 12 00:46:50 UTC 2019

Hello,

Just a report-back: https://twitter.com/EmeraldOnion/status/1160694122069422080

"It took us 128 days to go from 1Gbps to 10Gbps advertised bandwidth with the progressive deployment of up to 56 relays (April 2 to August 8, 2019). In terms of actual bandwidth, we have a sustained throughout of roughly 5-6Gbps. We can sustain up to 15Gbps and burst to 20Gbps."

Currently we're the fifth largest exit family at 1.2220% consensus weight, 1247.67 MiB/s	 advertised bandwidth, and 5.5546% exit probability. It costs us $1,600 per month, in donations, to manage this service. As you may know, we are all volunteers.

There was some additional feedback that we got from Nusenu regarding capping bandwidth of individual Tor processes, and using a second IP for exit traffic. We are still trying to determine the per-process max bandwidth on our two hardware platforms, but we are planning on enabling these caps for quality of the service.

When we originally deployed many new relays using Ansible-Relayor, we used a second IP per process. However, due to routing troubleshooting and relays not showing up on Relay Search, we removed the second IPs. We are still using only one per relay. We also found it challenging to manage this many relay IPs with Ansible-Relayor. Ansible-Relayor uses sequential IPs based on the listing from ifconfig. This presents a challenge because it is difficult to setup forward and reverse DNS in a predictable way.

The second issue we have with running a secondary IP per Tor process is system load. Having more IPs opens more sockets, and we are already putting a lot of load on these multi-core servers. The third issue is that when people block our IPs, they block the scope. Should we use a secondary IP per relay if the IP is in the same scope? Should we then use two /24 scopes, and wouldn't both scopes end up getting blocked? If we were to use a second /24 for relays, how will Ansible-Relayor know to use a second IP scope for exiting?

IPv4 dependency is a real burden. We would like to see Tor Project help Tor network operators more directly, both financially and securing IPv4 scopes for nonprofit organizations to take ownership of. The latter is needed until we can stop using IPv4 completely and operate only with IPv6.

It is discouraging to see so many small and large network operators not using IPv6. Why is this such a problem? Tor Project, please increase your #IPv6 awareness/outreach similar to how ARIN and the other RIRs try very hard to do.

Cheers,

--
Christopher Sheats
Executive Director for Emerald Onion