[tor-relays] Measuring the Accuracy of Tor Relays' Advertised Bandwidths

Rob Jansen rob.g.jansen at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Aug 1 22:48:16 UTC 2019

> On Jul 30, 2019, at 2:02 PM, Michael Gerstacker <michael.gerstacker at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Good to hear that you guys try to solve the problem of slow measured relays.
> For example when i measure my relay
>
> 40108FDFA40EDB013F7291F3B4DA3D412ED3A5EF
>
> with the speedtest from tele2 i get about 90 MiB download and about 50 MiB upload but Tor measures it with about 15 MiB.
> Some of my relays are measured very accurate but other ones are measured with only about 1/5 of what my results are.

Cool, I hope my experiment yields good results for your relay.

> I read the sbws documentation about how the measuring process is working and i am curious about how the experiment is measuring relays.
>
> if possible please publish a little more info about the experiment or at least the results somewhere.
> Thanks

Note that I am not using sbws for this experiment, but rather a custom measurement process. The plan is to use multiple Tor clients to create multiple sockets to the target relay, and then each client will extend a circuit through the target and then back to one of a set of relays running on the same machine as the client. I'm hoping the use of multiple sockets will help mitigate the effects of packet loss.

The results will be published when possible, after they have been analyzed and understood.

Peace, love, and positivity,
Rob