[tor-relays] ipv6 behaviour consensus

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Fri Apr 19 05:11:23 UTC 2019

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 01:46:19 +0300
s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:

> I totally agree. But why would you want to advertise an IPv6 ORPort if
> your Tor daemon only truly has IPv4 socket? This is what I don't
> understand. Why would one want that? Just to look neat in the consensus?

It is supported to advertise an IPv4 ORPort while my daemon only has an IPv6
socket. This is extremely useful for me and allows to still run Tor on some
IPv6-only machines, working around Tor's lack of useful IPv6 support via the
use of IPv4 load balancers at the frontend, and IPv4 NAT.

There is no reason to specifically disallow a combination where IPv6 and IPv4
would be swapped compared to be above. You don't know what network conditions
and configs people have (or have to put up with).

--
With respect,
Roman