[tor-relays] Debugging relays not showing online

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Apr 18 20:49:15 UTC 2019

Jake Visser wrote:
> Thanks Roger - that was a palm facing moment for me... I thought I had all the ND issues with IPv6 fixed, but apparently not... those 4 were not accessible externally on V6.
>
> I just corrected and will see if they start registering 😊

Thanks for running relays!
Well, it happens. Wasn't your fault entirely, Tor currently doesn't have
an IPv6 discovery and reach-ability testing mechanism, but hopefully
will have soon.

To make it even worse, Tor allows you to specify an advertised IPv6
address even if you have no IPv6 listening socket on the host running
the Tor instance:

Some think this is not a bug, and it should stay like this. I think it
only makes such accidental configurations or mistakes harder to track
down by operators.

> Thanks again,
>
> Jake

Finally -- this is very good! It was about time.