[tor-relays] Another Slow Relay

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Apr 9 04:22:05 UTC 2019

> On 9 Apr 2019, at 12:10, Ben Riley <blades1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I've edited my torrc file again. My upload and download speeds are different, 11MB/sec down and only about 4MB/sec up.
> I've set my limits as 3.9MB/s and burst to 4.4MB/s. Just updated the OS, so the machine had to reset.
> Have to admit it feels like such as waste. It's currently using about 4-6KB/s out of a potential 4,000KB/s.....

Unlike protocols like BitTorrent, which aim for bulk downloads, Tor is a low-latency platform. So Tor tries to give each client a consistently fast, low-latency, high-speed connection.

If your relay is slower or higher latency, it won't be used much.

(Also, when you change the settings, try to wait a few days for your relay to get its flags back, and the bandwidth usage to stabilise.)

> Something else I did notice in my logs was that for v1 v2 connections, I was initiating 0, but receiving a few, but as the v# went up, to say v4, v5 and v6, those numbers got huge 60,000+
> Is that normal?

Yes, that's very normal.

v1 and v2 aren't used by any supported Tor versions.
v3 is used by some old clients that work, but we don't do updates for them any more.