[tor-relays] Making use of new bandwidth

teor teor at riseup.net
Sun Apr 7 21:57:58 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 7 Apr 2019, at 05:19, Logforme <m7527 at abc.se> wrote:
>
> I run the non-exit relay: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/855BC2DABE24C861CD887DB9B2E950424B49FC34
> The relay run on a debian stretch machine with an i5-4670 at 3.8GHz with 4GB memory. CPU usage at 250Mbps traffic is around 40% of 1 core out of 4.
>
> On April 1st my ISP doubled my bandwidth, from 250Mbps to 500Mbps.
> So far the Tor bandwidth authorities seems to not have picked up on all the new bandwidth. The observed bandwidth number has changed twice, increasing with small amounts.
>
> How long does it take for the BW authorities to eventually observe a BW closer to 500Mbps. Weeks? Months?

Your relay observes its own bandwidth, and tells the bandwidth authorities the
maximum over the last 5 days.

Looking at the 6 months graph from 1 April, your relay's observed bandwidth has
increased about 5-10%. A small increase per week isn't bad for a guard: even if
your consensus weight goes up, it takes time for clients to rotate guards.

The bandwidth authorities also measure the excess bandwidth on your relay every few
days, and combine their measurements with your relay's observed bandwidth to
generate their consensus weight votes. The consensus value is the low-median of
those votes.

Looking at the consensus weight graph, the votes haven't changed much at all.

(The consensus weight changes the number of clients that use your relay, which
increases its observed bandwidth, but decreases the measured bandwidth. Eventually
these changes balance out.)

> The reason I ask is that I wonder if I should run a second Tor instance or if the current one will be able to make use a a reasonable part of the 500Mps.

It looks like your relay could be CPU-core-limited, or limited by some other
local resource, or limited by its location.

To work out where the limit is, run another Tor instance.

You could also wait another week to see if your relay picks up another 5-10%
traffic increase.