[tor-relays] High Speed Exit Relay or just a plain Relay?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 18:35:19 UTC 2019

On 4/4/19, Conrad Rockenhaus <conrad at rockenhaus.com> wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD box on a 1 Gbit/s connection. I'm trying to determine
> if we need more high speed relays or high speed exit relays. The AS
> it's on has no plain relays, just exit relays. That's what has me
> wondering what to do.

https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html
Exit and non-exit appear both roughly equal at
around 50% utilization. Perhaps a coin toss there.

https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html
There may be long term performance trends
to try enhancing or reversing as desired.

https://metrics.torproject.org/relayflags.html
There's 1000 exits, fraction that are
variously p0wn3d is unknown.

Was mentioned above the AS is already represented by
exits, so diversity needs there may be moot, unless traffic
there is added up and found to be disproportionally low
compared to other AS, region, etc.

https://metrics.torproject.org/services.html
https://metrics.torproject.org/
There are more resources here.

If all else equal, the answer may be... do you prefer to
grow the ISP relationship as an exit from today, including
any extra fraffic costs and cancellation or legal exposure,
or prefer to enable the exit forms of those four later on.

Or survey other ISP and locations for the tor node.

Or even assist other network overlay projects with their nodes.

Lots of considerations can go into success and diversity
of the privacy anonymity freedom space overall when
wondering "what to do with my box" :)