[tor-relays] Another Slow Relay

Ben Riley blades1000 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:58:56 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I've read over a couple of other threads regarding relays being slow,
however, I can't figure out why mine is running as slow as it is.

I used to have a FAST flag and was getting a throughput of several hundred
KB/sec on my relay. Now I can't remember if I upgraded TOR or just updated
the OS, but I lost the flag. I figured that I'd changed something and would
have to 'earn' it again after a few days, week and now months?

According to NYX, my average is 6.4KB/sec. I did have the limit set to 1MB
and 2MB burst for the last few months thinking that would be more than
enough.

This morning I changed those (via NYX) to 0 (default) 1GB/s and it looks
like it's starting to climb.

My internet connection is on a home set up with a connection speed of about
97Mb, so plenty of speed available.

If you look at my previous reports on:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/9F19251CEE17B1E05084898D164F0544CCB095DD
there appears to be a massive drop off in speed during Feb 2019. I'm open
to suggestion.

Additionally, I'm considering opening an exit port, but everyone seems to
say that is a REALLY bad idea on a home set up. Plus I don't really know
what I'm doing :)