[tor-relays] "Safe" ports for exit node that won't attract LEA?

John D. McDonnell mcdonnjd at pcam.org
Wed Sep 26 14:29:17 UTC 2018

I'd suggest looking at the reduced exit policy. I don't think I've gotten any complaints from Comcast after switching to a customized version of it. Generally speaking, 80/443 is "safe" and very useful. Port 22 (SSH) is very useful, but often generates complaints and I currently don't allow it on my exits. I also allow 993/995 (IMAP/POP3 over SSL). Sadly, I don't allow 465, SMTP over SSL, though I've pondered enabling it. I allow port 5228 which is supposedly for the Android marketplace. I allow 11371 for OpenPGP keyservers. 19294 is for Google Voice, though I'm not sure it still uses that port or if anyone uses GV over tor. Mumble works across 64738, though I'm not sure how useful this one is either. I also allow 10000 for those who might need to access Webmin over tor. 9418 and 3690 for git and SVN protocols. I also allow 636 for secure LDAP and 706 for SILC, though I'm not sure anyone uses it either.

--
John McDonnell