[tor-relays] Repeated warning in an exit relay

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Sep 18 13:10:58 UTC 2018

livak wrote:
> The relay repeatedly casts the following message:
>
> Sep 18 08:19:58.000 [warn] Tried to establish rendezvous on non-OR
> circuit with purpose Acting as rendevous (pending)
>
> What does it mean ?
>
> Livak

We know about it for quite some time and investigating. It is safe to
ignore it for the moment. No sense to open a ticket about it on trac as
it's already there.

It occurs on Exit relays. The faster the Exit, the more often you get
it. Here is one of mine:

~$ cat /var/log/tor/tor.log | grep rendezvous | wc -l
386

only in the last ~27 hours.

For the time being we don't think it's a security risk nor something
that can crash relays. But at least we are 100% sure that we are not
talking about just one or two misconfigured client implementations out
there that sends duplicate ESTABLISH_RENDEZVOUS cells on the same circuit.