[tor-relays] Zwiebelfreunde: "shutting down more and more because, of lack of time"

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Tue Sep 18 12:24:11 UTC 2018

On 9/18/18 1:31 PM, nusenu wrote:
>    [but torservers.net says: "We run managed and unmanaged nodes" and "Our goal is to run exit nodes"?]

Yes. The collective group does that.

Everything you state is correct.

> ok than I misunderstood your earlier sentence ("but are shutting down more and more because
> of lack of time to properly **maintain** everything."), so you are not specifically looking for technical
> people but people coordinating things (what kind of things?)

Everything that one can think about to do, both as German Zwiebelfreunde
as well as "as umbrella". For example, we never managed to produce
financial transparency on either level, which is a shame also towards
the partner organizations. We have no task list and I didn't start one
because (from experience) that means spending a lot of time coordinating
things.

> Since I've seen the shutdown "notice" before I assume it won't be happening soon and sharply
> but I still would like to get an understanding of the scope of the "shutdown".>
> When you say "shut down Torservers" is that limited to the umbrella project or
> does that also include Zwiebelfreunde e.V.,  your relays and the RIPE membership/LIR
> (and therefore also affects those that make use of your IP space)?

It would be a slow shutdown, with probably LIR functions remaining. In
some respect we are already "shut down" since we don't do much actively
any more, neither as association nor as umbrella. We still perform the
functions claimed on the website, and we still convert donations to exit
traffic, but there's a lot more we could be doing.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/