[tor-relays] Exit node seized

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Wed Sep 12 15:08:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:34:48 +0200
tor-relays at geek1.de wrote:

> I'd guess it's ok to just set up a new exit node on the same IP and
> everything should be fine but I'm not quite 100% sure on this.

I find it surprising that you are able to do that, is the provider not mad at
you for having one of their servers seized? Or even if yours, for causing a
commotion and ruckus in their datacenter.

> And another question about this topic: Would it be better to create a
> new exit from scratch or is it ok to restore the latest backup with all
> keys, etc. ?

It is certainly not okay to run a node keeping the same private key that the
police now has. You should start from scratch, and I think the procedure is
actually such that the Tor project will blacklist the affected fingerprint.

--
With respect,
Roman