[tor-relays] Court Order

Conrad Rockenhaus conrad at rockenhaus.com
Sun Sep 9 20:23:04 UTC 2018

S7R,

I emailed you privately with evidence hoping you would retract your statement. Unfortunately, you’ve decided to not reply, so I’ll gladly post a redacted copy of the court order to my blog: https://www.rockenhaus.com/2018/09/hey-now-court-order.html as well as respond to some of your finer points.

> On Sep 9, 2018, at 8:25 AM, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
>
> I can see this way too often in the mail list and it looks like some
> pour attempts of advertising of a small hosting/server/vps company
> start-up. I sincerely doubt any court order was received on such short
> notice, especially because these procedures take significant time from
> the date an action happen to the date subpoena/court order is physically
> received. Subject of this email thread chosen to attract attention, yet
> with 0 proof.

My, oh my, you really need some education about Court Orders if you think they really need to “take some time” to get one. All a Police Officer has to do is convince a judge that they believe Party X holds evidence related to the crime, and they need Party X to release the evidence to bolster their case to probable cause for arrest or to determine who the suspect is. If a judge agrees, the court order is signed. It’s up to you to fight the court order.

I would like to see how I was advertising. I didn’t mention my company once, I sent it from my personal account, and I sent the email just to inform that another relay operator received a court order, which is an atypical topic brought up here.

> Secondly, the said company could not have received a court order, or
> even an abuse email, it is OVH who could have received them, and if it
> really was a court order they would not pass it further downstream, they
> would just tell them who the user of the IP address was at the given time.

Thank you for educating me about my network, but too bad the servers weren’t hosted at OVH. However, I’m contacted directly about my IP space at OVH as well, because it’s reassigned to me. I have servers at other locations, but I greatly appreciate you knowing my network oh so well.

> HIGHLIGHT: I appreciate and respect and am thankful to people doing any
> efforts at all to run exit nodes running, including setting up small
> re-seller accounts with big providers and do it. We do not have to
> advertise these facts to the mail list over and over again.
>
> After all this company does not even own any IP address space at all, it
> is an OVH re-seller with a different html website, and all those exits
> can be shut down the minute OVH decides they received too many abuse
> complaints, and that is it. They can state as long as they want that
> they will not shut them down, just one day some person in management
> changes and decides they are not worth it, so bye-bye.
>
> Quite some people here are running exits under their own AS numbers and
> own IP address space with different upstream providers that provide real
> diversity yet none of them advertise it so heavily.

HIGHLIGHT: No, you don’t appreciate and respect people doing any efforts at all to keep exit nodes running, otherwise, you wouldn’t of sent this email. No one was advertising, you could of easily emailed me and asked me for proof before launching into your little tirade like another gentleman here did because he was angry that he wasn’t getting three servers for free anymore on an one server trial. Too many people decide to draft an email and send to everyone instead of actually getting their facts straight for a change.

Oh, and no, again, we’re not just an OVH reseller, but thank you, maybe I should become one and maybe they’ll actually pay me something. I heard they have a good referral program.

> ANOTHER HIGHLIGHT SO MY WORDS DO NOT GET TWISTED: I am not saying these
> relays are useless, they are just not such a big deal to keep reading
> about them over and over again.
>
> Thanks for not understanding it wrong.

Well, it came across completely wrong.

Conrad