[tor-relays] Torservers relay family decreased?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sat Sep 8 21:29:04 UTC 2018

On 08.09.2018 22:19, Paul wrote:
> i am glad that somebody else got notice and i agree, suspecting
> something nasty (or highly unusual) is going on. There was a discussion
> about that in Berlin in July already
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/BerlinRelayOperatorsMeetupJul18
> but no public follow-up since then.

It's weird because nobody asked us, whereas the IP assignments clearly
point to us (and the meeting even happened in a space I am responsible
for)...

> There seems to be a private person who is holding this family
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/family:1084200B44021D308EA4253F256794671B1D099A
> and ran between 10-15% exit probability in the last six months - which i
> personally judge as far too high for a single person, or even an entity.

Agreed. I had a longer discussion with nifty around diversity some time
ago, but ultimately it is up to individual operators. I have no reason
to doubt the legimitate interest of nifty to simply support the Tor
network. There used to be times when single operators were in control of
80% of the exit capacity, and we worked hard to get it more diversified.
There is a lot of room for improvement, and other networks like OVH see
even more Tor traffic...

Moritz