[tor-relays] Possible problem with NYX

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Sep 4 16:36:31 UTC 2018

Hi arisbe. This isn't as concerning as you seem to think. As Nathaniel
mentions it's simple to get this information, Nyx is simply attempting
to scrub it cuz... well, it's ethically and legally the right thing to
do. Nyx's 'should this be scrubbed' check is pretty simple [1].
Inbound addresses are scrubbed if...

1. You're configured to accept user traffic (ie. you set BridgeRelay
in your torrc or have receive the Guard flag). [2]
2. The connection doesn't belong to a another tor relay. [3]

Does the relay show relay information such as a fingerprint? If so
then it shouldn't be scrubbed. If it doesn't and you've set
BridgeRelay in your torrc then please let us know on...

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/nyx/bugs

Thanks! -Damian (author of nyx and stem)

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/nyx.git/tree/nyx/panel/connection.py#n230
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/tree/stem/control.py
[3] In particular, we check if the address/port is in the consensus.