[tor-relays] The Assistance and Access Bill 2018

Gary jaffacakemonster53 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 15:15:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am unfamiliar with the nuances of Australian law however I do wonder the
following:

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 14:01, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:

> The law specifically allows payments by the government.

Lets speculate and say there is a relay operator who runs their relay in
their spare time, and the Australian Government want to force this person
to spend time and rig their relay and turn it "bad", sucking up all sorts
of data as it goes through.

The real test would be if they could ask this person to quit their full
time job in order to complete this (for any) task. Sure they might get
'compensation' (pay) of some sort, perhaps hardware - but if they feel they
are being asked to do too much its unlikely they will be able to appeal -
and even if they can appeal it is likely it would be done in secret.

A member of the Australian Government is known for saying "the laws of
mathematics are great - Australian laws are better" (referring to back
doors in encryption), perhaps under these new laws they can force a person
to work more than 24 hours a day lol.

Thanks.