[tor-relays] The Assistance and Access Bill 2018

Gary jaffacakemonster53 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:57:38 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018, 11:20 Paul Templeton, <paul at coffswifi.net> wrote:

> But seriously -
>
> https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/consultations/assistance-and-access-bill-2018
> And -
>
> https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/national-security/five-country-ministerial-2018
>
> The thing that worries me is that this bill will probably go through and
> it can hoover up relay operators. That is they can force you to add/develop
> tools to eavesdrop on you.

I remember reading about this a while ago. I don't have the links to the
articles on the device I am using however they mentioned three things:

1). The organisation would need the skills and resources to bake in back
doors (e.g. knowledgeable people).

2). Free speech - Can you make a programmer code (speak) something they do
not want to say.

3). Assuming someone is willing to help - it may take one person years to
do as they have been asked, so during that time are they employed by the
government? Do they get assistance (e.g. mentoring or hardware) to do the
task?

As you can see it would be difficult to implement I think.

Thanks