[tor-relays] Policy Question: Tor Exits at Universities, Corporate Networks, etc

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun Sep 2 00:05:27 UTC 2018

On 09/01/2018 04:47 PM, Conrad Rockenhaus wrote:
> I know this is an issue of semantics here, but when you say “Tor Exit in Turkey censoring access to various access to various websites” you’re kind of putting the onus on them directly instead of the repressive anti-free speech regime that they are operating the the exit under. Why not be more clear and direct with your language and state the “Tor Exit in Turkey that is being actively censored by it’s upstream” or the “Tor Exit that is being actively censored by an unknown third party” instead of putting the blame on them?

True. But however you say it, there's still censorship.

> Furthermore, even western countries have limits to what you can access from those countries. As others have said - you can’t access torrent sites from the UK, heck, you can’t even access EncyclopediaDramatica (certain pages of it anyway) from Australia. Should we mark those exits as bad because they can’t access certain pages as well?

Damn, I hadn't considered that :( I guess that I had assumed such
blocking was limited to consumer-level ISPs. Not uplinks in data
centers. If that's actually the case, perhaps such censored relays
should be in a separate category, and not enabled by default. Or as a
configuration option, or an option in Tor browser, similar to the
security slider.

But I can see how that reduces anonymity. So maybe the best option is to
publicize the problem, and remind users that they ought to try new
circuits when they find stuff unreachable. Maybe also an indicator in
Tor browser, showing the censorship level of the exit that they're using.