[tor-relays] Policy Question: Tor Exits at Universities, Corporate Networks, etc

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Sep 1 23:14:26 UTC 2018

On 09/01/2018 02:56 PM, Nathaniel Suchy wrote:
> Recently we've been discussing a Tor Exit in Turkey censoring access to
> various websites.
>
> It's less to some err, disagreements on what should and should not be
> allowed. I've seen a few opinions:
> *) It grants an outside view at what Turkey censors

Then it should be in a separate category, not used by default, but
available for research purposes.

> *) It could push new tor users away

That's how I see it. But maybe it's unlikely enough to matter.

> This leads me to question if it's okay for a Tor Exit to be on a censored
> network are the following scenarios now allowed?
> *) A Tor Exit behind a Corporate Network and Web Filter
> *) A Tor Exit behind a University Network and Web Filter
> Under the logic with the Turkey exit relay it should be right?
>
> Cordially,
> Nathaniel

I see absolutely no use for such censored relays. As others have said,
what does it matter whether relay operators do bad things, or whether
they run relays in environments that do bad things? Bad things are bad
things, whatever the reason.