[tor-relays] Running an exit node from home

Isaac Grover, Aileron I.T. igrover at aileronit.com
Tue Oct 30 14:31:15 UTC 2018

Good morning,

As a followup to my last (and other) posts on this list, I have been cautioned multiple times of running an exit node from my home.  After careful consideration and previous direct feedback from this list, I configured an exit node with the following exit policy, which allows traffic on ports that are "safe" in my opinion, meaning that they're not likely to generate complaints or search warrants.

accept *:5228
accept *:8333
accept *:9418
accept *:11371
reject *:*

Regarding these aforementioned cautions, they all seem to be based on dated posts and/or irresponsible exit policies.  I would not open any of the web, email, irc, remote desktop, ssh, etc. ports on an exit node based at home as those would generate complaints and/or search warrants very quickly, so I am open to discussion about modifying the groupthink behind this blanket "don't run an exit node at home" advice.

Make your day great,
Isaac Grover, Senior I.T. Consultant
Aileron I.T. - "Practical & Proactive I.T. Solutions"

O: 715-377-0440<tel:715-425-0440>, F:715-690-1029<tel:715-690-1029>, W: www.aileronit.com<http://www.aileronit.com/>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/IsaacGrover/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqrwZNFKdR-guKtuQzFPObQ