[tor-relays] Monitoring exit node traffic by port?

Swiss Privacy Lab hello at swissprivacylab.ch
Mon Oct 29 12:52:15 UTC 2018

Have a look at the list archives, there have been similar discussions on this topic...

cliffs notes:

Logging exit node traffic: Breach of trust from tor users. Highly frowned upon. IMHO, I would say the granularity of per port comes more under the ‘logging’ umbrella rather than monitoring.

Monitoring: Monitoring should only be done to ensure availability of service, and should only be done in the most broad way possible to minimize risk of deanonymization, especially if court orders are involved at any point.

It’s a slippery slope.

I use vnstat for gross weekly/monthly TBs as a measure of improvement (ie how can I make the figure bigger to help the network out?). Daily TBs are too granular for my liking. (I’m interested in what the big boys like Quintex etc are doing here!)

More importantly: Running an exit from your house is risky! Check the wiki on the risks and why you should consider a hosting service instead.

Regardless, thank you for running a relay!