[tor-relays] exit operators: overall DNS failure rate above 5% - please check your DNS

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat Oct 20 13:48:00 UTC 2018

> The Tor relays guide in trac makes that recommendation.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#DNSonExitRelays

the guide has unbound examples but I tried to make clear that it is not
the only option:

> There are multiple options for DNS server software, unbound has
> become a popular one but feel free to use any other you are
> comfortable with. When choosing your DNS resolver software try to
> ensure it supports DNSSEC validation and QNAME minimisation (​
> RFC7816)

other popular DNS software like BIND didn't have RFC7816 support
for long and I don't know if BIND supports RFC7706 (root zone on loopback)
which is also nice to have but not as important as RFC7816.

in anyway prio 1 should be reliability, if it fails 100% of
queries, it does not matter what kind of software is used or
what kind of protocol features are supported and enabled.

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu