[tor-relays] Why is there a difference in the amount of data tor has sent and received?

teor teor at riseup.net
Wed Oct 17 23:48:49 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 17 Oct 2018, at 18:05, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So when running my OBFS4 bridge I noticed something, tor recently popped up with a message saying “I’ve sent 30mb and received
> 104mb.” Why is there such a big difference in the amount of data my bridge has received and sent?

Please copy and paste the exact message: it's hard to give you a good answer
when we don't know how long your relay took to use that bandwidth.

Your bridge downloads copies of all the tor directory documents and descriptors.
The requests that are sent are small, but the documents that are received are big.

Your bridge also uses some bandwidth in each direction to behave like a Tor
client.

> Info – tor 0.3.4.8 running on Windows 10 (Although tor seems to think it’s running on Windows 8 for some reason)?

"Applications not manifested for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 will return the
Windows 8 OS version value (6.2)."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/desktop/api/sysinfoapi/nf-sysinfoapi-getversionexa

I have opened tickets to fix this issue: