[tor-relays] DSL Router

fatal fatal at mailbox.org
Sat Oct 13 06:52:04 UTC 2018

Hello,

> You guys are shure it can handle dsl? I am unable to find any
> specifications regarding that online. (maybe just to stupid).

You have to add a DSL modem, the mikrotik is only a router and not able
to do DSL on its own. Options could be a Zyxel VMG1312-B30A which is
able to do VDSL up to 100 Mbit/s, just configure it in bridge mode, or a
DrayTek Vigor 130.

Alternatives to mikrotik could be (all need an external DSL modem):

the turris omnia (open source hardware, software based on OpenWRT,
https://omnia.turris.cz/en/)

edge router-x (or any other from the edge router series) from ubiquiti
which costs less than 50 € (https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/).
I'd prefer the ubiquiti over mikrotik (which I'm not very experienced
with), because the debian running below the router os (called edgeOS
which is based on vyos) is easy accessible and you can install debian
packages (e. g. unbound). mikrotik has to be rooted to do that.

or you could buy a pceniges board (http://pcengines.ch/apu.htm) and
install opnsense or pfsense. this needs a bit more power, due to the
routing being done in software and not in hardware.

afaik atm both, the ubiquiti (v3.10
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/Upgrade-Linux-kernel-to-at-least-4-4/idi-p/2140663)
and mikrotik (v3.3.5,
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterOS_features) operating
systems are running  EOL kernels. The upcoming edgeos 2.0, which is
still in alpha, will upgrade the underlying OS to debian stretch and use
a 4.4 kernel. I don't know about mikrotik routeros. Therefore I
personally would not buy a ubiquiti or mikrotik atm.

cheers