[tor-relays] Which would be more helpful, to run a bridge or normal relay?

John Ricketts john at quintex.com
Fri Oct 12 03:42:52 UTC 2018

Thanks for running a bridge!

On Oct 11, 2018, at 22:37, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com<mailto:keifer.bly at gmail.com>> wrote:

Thank you, I recently had to swich over to a new relay, I was formerly running a normal relay, but had to switch to a different OS (Windows 10) because Apple dropped support for my hardware, so I installed Windows 10 via bootcamp. Unfortunately my relay keys were lost in the result.

The OBFS4 bridge I started today is here: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/148BD64BED9F2C27637D986DE032ECF14E5B9E9A

I should have been a little bit more specific with what I was was asking, based on the current state of the network, between either bridges or relays, which could the network use more of?

Thanks for the thoughts.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:10 PM Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu<mailto:arma at mit.edu>> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 08:07:38PM -0700, Keifer Bly wrote:
> So I just set up a new relay via the Tor expert bundle and am wondering if
> running a normal relay or a bridge would currently be more helpful? Thank
> you.

Hopefully this FAQ entry will be helpful:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge

Thanks!
--Roger