[tor-relays] tor relay - impact on e-mail system reputation

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Nov 22 15:22:28 UTC 2018

dlugasny at protonmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> no its not possible. This is powerful VPS with single IP. I simply do
> not want to have blacklisted IP because tor relay is running on it.
>

> In the past many times IP was blaclisted and afterwards I had several
> problems with email delivery.
>
> I do not understand why rbls blocking tor non exit relay ip's... It
> stupid...
>

> Cheers
> Dlugasny

Yes, very stupid I would say. I am not a fan of blacklists as a general
concept, because of various reasons, they provide a false sense of
security and the false positive rate can be gamed even by a child.

I can't imagine what help it is for one to blacklist the IP of a middle
relay. I can't imagine why would that blacklist have users that actually
use it. This really has to stop, but unfortunately there is nothing we
can do about it.

Unfortunately for you, as long as the recipients where you are trying to
send emails use such blacklist this can cause you problems with your
outgoing messages and too little you can do at your side without
stopping the Tor relay. You can for example run a VPN with a public
dedicated / static IP address that you can use only for email traffic.