[tor-relays] Explaining Tor to worried parent

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Mon Nov 12 07:48:57 UTC 2018

On 11/12/2018 05:53 AM, DrNotThatEvil wrote:

> Secondly she also raised the following question:
> 'if you don't do it somebody else will, so why do you put yourself at risk?

If not us, whom? If not now, when? ~Anabasis

>Thirdly she detected from the conversation that a Exit Relay might not
>be free from legal issues andI can't say that this is not the case, but
>I do think her view of these issues is utmost grim bringing up my future
>and employment opportunities. How would do you view/explain the severity
>of these legal issues?

I run into this all the time whilst proselytizing for Tor, as for
example at a local non-profit makerspace recently. "Kiddie porn! FBI
raids!" was the hue and cry, whereupon people's brains shut down. But
this is very much a public relations issue, not a legal issue, assuming
that you have the prerequisite legal boilerplate in place. You do have
to be loaded for bear to run an exit and mind your p's and q's; I myself
am currently running an exit under the aegis of Zwiebelfreunde (Friends
of the Onion) in Germany, as they take care of the technical and legal
overhead & catch whatever flak comes its way.