[tor-relays] Why is my relay dying?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sat Nov 3 19:15:00 UTC 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 20:04:18 +0100
Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 11/3/18 8:01 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> > What you can do right off the bat, is to run a second Tor instance on the same
> > IP address (of course on a different port). You can run two per IP, and it is
> > most often a no-brainer to do so. I would expect it to get around the same 4-5
> > MB/sec usage over time -- with little to no impact on speeds of the first one.
>
> 2 relays at one IP address instead of 1 will have 50% each of the former one relay.

If there was hard cap on bandwidth, say, to those 5 MB/sec, then sure, each
would get 2.5 MB/sec. But I think chances are this is not the case here (the
current low speed attained is caused by something else than a hard limit), and
running two, in effect with 2x as much parallel TCP streams, will be able to
utilize quite a bit more bandwidth out of this connection than a single
instance can.

--
With respect,
Roman