[tor-relays] Running A Bridge Alongside My Relay

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun May 27 02:17:17 UTC 2018

On 05/26/2018 01:30 PM, Keifer Bly wrote:
> I am subscribed to a vpn service (purevpn) however there service changes
> their IP address and location every few minutes. Would this be a useable
> bridge? Thank you.

It's the custom PureVPN client that's changing servers periodically. If
you run standard openvpn demon, you can specify particular servers. So
the IP address won't be changing.

However, you would need to forward the bridge port (TCP 443) to the VPN
exit server. And it looks like PureVPN doesn't allow that. So you'd need
to use a VPN service that does.

For the one-year plan, PureVPN costs ~$4 per month. Decent VPNs that do
support port forwarding cost about $5-$9 per month. But for that, you
can lease a VPS with gigabit uplink. And running a bridge won't likely
generate abuse complaints.