[tor-relays] Tor Software Update Question

Colin Childs colin at torproject.org
Thu May 24 18:22:16 UTC 2018

Hi Keifer,

When doing Tor version upgrades (and not just config changes), there is no way to restart the process without losing uptime; as uptime records the amount of time that the Tor process has been running without interruption.

When doing version upgrades, stopping your previous version of tor and starting the new version is required, this cannot be done without interrupting the uptime. That said, uptime is not a super important stat. It is more important that you keep your tor daemon / system up to date than go for high uptime numbers.

Thanks for running relays!