[tor-relays] Running a bridge remotely

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 21:47:46 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 21 May 2018, at 18:20, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been running my home computer as a public tor relay for some time now with no issues, and unfortunately do not have a data center or anywhere else to run my relay from. I have noticed that there are far fewer bridges (about 2,000) then there are relays (about 7,000). As I have been running my home computer as a relay since last year, my ip address has already been in the tor network for a while, and thus will already be known as a relay to begin with. Is there a free way that I could remotely run an obfuscated bridge as well?

No, there are no free, long-term VPSs.

But you can search the list archives for cheap VPSs:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/

Or use this wiki page to find cheap VPSs:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

> I would need a way to do this remotely as I said my only available network ip has been on the public tor network for a considerable while.

You will need to use ssh and you will probably get a machine with Linux or BSD.

macOS VPSs are very rare and very expensive.