[tor-relays] Relay advocate introduction

Colin Childs colin at torproject.org
Wed May 16 15:47:21 UTC 2018

Hello tor-relays!

My name is Colin Childs, I have been the support and translation coordinator at the Tor Project for a number of years. I am also a founding director of a TorServers partner named Coldhak here in Canada.

Recently, my role within the Tor Project has changed, and I am starting as the new relay advocate (as well as localization coordinator, until this responsibility can be reassigned). My job will be improving the health / happiness of the relay operator community, expanding the relay operator community, and helping improve the community bonds between operators.

A few of the things I will be working on are:

1. Open a #tor-relays IRC channel (this is now open, everyone should join!)
2. Reach out to realy operator groups / individuals to introduce myself and solicit feedback (beginning today)
3. Plan a relay operators meet-up at PETS in July (details to come in another email)
4. Form a team of trusted technical and legal volunteers able to help operators around the world.
5. Organizing a larger "relay operator summit" event
6. Working with operators to resolve some of the recent issues brought up on this list (DNS provider, DNSSEC, EOL releases, etc..)

While reaching out to operators is point 2 in that list, if you have suggestions or feedback that you'd like to send, please do not hesitate to reach out to me! I would love to hear from all of you with the things you would find most helpful from me / the Tor Project. While I cannot guarantee we can facilitate every request, we will do our best to help!

I look forward to working with all of you in the future, and I hope you're having a great week!