[tor-relays] lets stop using central big DNS resolvers (Google, Level3, OpenDNS, Quad9, Cloudflare)

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Sun May 13 15:05:52 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-13 15:34, Paul wrote:

> Unfortunately the /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten on reboot. On
> Linux I solved that with editing
> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base. In that file, i put in the info as
> i would in resolv.conf.
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> Then i told resolvconf to regenerate resolv.conf
>
> sudo resolvconf -u

If you use localhost (or in fact any fixed ip) for a resolver, you don't
need the resolvconf package at all.  Just uninstall it and you won't
need to work around it.

Another thing that can overwrite resolv.conf is DHCP client, if your
relay is on DHCP for some reason.  That can be stopped by configuring
DHCP to *not* ask for DNS info.  With the ISC DHCP client which was the
default one at least until Debian jessie, that's done by editing
/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf .