[tor-relays] lets stop using central big DNS resolvers (Google, Level3, OpenDNS, Quad9, Cloudflare)

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat May 12 08:55:00 UTC 2018

Andrew Deason:
> An operator may think they're not "using" google's dns because they're
> pointed at localhost first, and their local resolver is working, so they
> shouldn't normally be using the fallback so it doesn't matter. Obviously
> that's not true, otherwise such relays wouldn't be identified in that
> list :) I imagine it's not _as_ bad as depending on google's dns first,
> but maybe that is an insignificant difference.

yes there appear to be rather different interpretations as to when
secondary resolvers (lines coming after the first nameserver line in /etc/resolv.conf)
are actually contacted.
So far I can tell it does not only depend on the functioning of the primary
resolver, but yes I believe it makes a significant difference if you use
a resolver in the first or secondary position (unless you enabled round-robin).

Next time I measure, I aim to better differentiate what relays use what resolver as primary
or secondary resolver.

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu
twitter: @nusenu_