[tor-relays] Strange BGP activity with my node

Rabbi Rob Thomas robt at cymru.com
Wed May 9 18:45:01 UTC 2018

Dear Trevor,

> I just a notification from my data center that someone is trying
> to hijack the IP of my exit node. Seems like the sort of thing
> someone might do when trying to attack Tor. I'm in a very remote
> area with limited access but any suggestions on actions I should
> take?

Possible Prefix Hijack (Code: 10)

Your prefix:          204.17.32.0/19 <http://204.17.32.0/19>:
> Prefix Description:   GBLX-US-BGP Update time:          2018-05-09
> 12:11 (UTC) Detected by #peers:   1 Detected prefix:
> 204.17.56.42/32 <http://204.17.56.42/32> Announced by:
> AS200005 (Asavie Technologies Limited) Upstream AS:
> AS200005 (Asavie Technologies Limited) ASpath:               200005

I took a look through our BGP data and peering routers, and I didn't
see the /32 being announced.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but
rather it may not have carried very far.  /32 prefix announcements
rarely propagate very far.  There are still a great many filters in
place that restrict announcements more specific than /24 (or /21, or
/19, or ...).

It may be the case that this /32 prefix is a null route that leaked
out, which we've seen happen somewhat frequently.  The most notorious
example was an attempted, and unwittingly leaked, null route in
Pakistan (/24s, IIRC) that impacted YouTube.

It appears Asavie does a bit of security and networking work, so
possibly this is attributable to that?

Be well,
Rabbi Rob.
- --
Rabbi Rob Thomas                                           Team Cymru
   "It is easy to believe in freedom of speech for those with whom we
    agree." - Leo McKern